Skip to main content

CGAA Misc. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time



With a fair few of my class mates working with Butch Auntie this summer I thought I'd share where CG Light-shows are going now as an industry. I have been walking past this show every morning for 2 weeks and for the first time, remembered to look it up only to find they're using Butch Auntie style projection art, rather then an elaborate set that need hundreds of stage hands to move and masses of mechanism which (thinking of my experience of watching Kerry Ellis hang off her flying device... and she wasn't going to defy gravity) can go very wrong.

The story is adapted from a novel of the same name written by Mark Haddon. The protagonist is Christopher Boone who has Aspergers Syndrome and is the narrator so the world is experienced from his perspective. The projected staging is meant to show Christopher's world and how his mathematically minded head interacts with the events that befall him.

I think it's good to see the CG art making their way into all arts now... even if there is contemporary dances' less rhythmic, but still just as pointless, brother "physical theatre" being used in this particular play. I've seen a lot of west end shows and it's the first time I've seen it used to this level and in a way that effects how the story is told. Pretty Cool...



... also, read the book! It's good.

Website: www.curiousonstage.com


Comments