Skip to main content

@Alan: Skinning Issues

Hello Alan,


Hope you had a great Xmas day and Happy New Year! And hopefully your voice is getting back to normal :) I've been having some issues with Hemmy's skinning. Of course I believe most of them will be solved after the hand with the blenshape/ joint movement tutorials as I am not able to use extreme poses on him at the moment, like sitting down for instance. So I am going to stick to simple poses in the mean time. Although I have an idea of how to solve the 'extreme' pose issues, I've noticed that whenever I set the controls back to zero the skinning in some small parts doesn't turn to its original state. I think it might have to do with the order I set the controls back to zero. Any ideas why this is happening? Also, when is it that we are going to be introduced to more complicated skinning tutorials? (meaning blendshapes controlled by joint movement)

Thank you and get well soon.

Comments

  1. Hi Andriana

    Yes thanks my voice is getting better.

    1) Regarding the default pose/ skinning issue. This is something that could be a bind issue. Select the vertices in the problem area and go to the component editor. Move to the far right and check that the normalisation adds up to 1. If its higher than one it is possible that you have bound the mesh using the wrong method interactive vs Post. It should be 'interactive'. If this does turn out to be the problem it could also partially explain the inability to get to an extreme pose.

    2) I can post the tutorials now for you in the bonus section on the tutorials blog so you can get ahead. However Matt (IT technician) hasn't installed the plug-in on the Uni computers yet to check that it works. If you use the plug-in it means not being able to open your file on a computer where it isn't installed. I can ask Matt to install it on one machine to check when I get back but I can't guarantee how quick this will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two starting tutorials and the plug-in are now in the "Bonus Tutorials" section of the Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although in my case, I've already rigged my character. Would the deformer work with controls instead? My joints are not set to zero unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posedeformer gets connected to the skinned joints which are in turn driven by the controls. If that makes sense and I'm understanding your question correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okey :) So if I were to make blendshapes could I connect them to the rotate values of the controls instead of the joints? On the tutorials I see how you get the option to choose joint influences but having my character already rigged I can't use the joint values, therefore I will have to use the values from what controls them, meaning the controls. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make a set driven key between the rotation of the jiont and the blendshape - The control drives the joints rotation. The controls are just a way for users not to select joints when animating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment