Skip to main content

Ptex. Rendering

So according to friends, colleagues and others I have spoken to, it seems that Ptex. texturing (texturing without the use of UV coordinates) is starting to catch on in a big way.

Programs like Mari, that allow you to paint directly onto a model without creating UVs are fast becoming a preferred way to texture it seems. Personally, I still believe it is crucial to know why and how to properly lay out 'flat' UVs despite this new 'Per Face Painting' texture technology.

for those of you who are unfamiliar with Ptex., find posted below, a video that will explain roughly what it is.




My question is to anyone with actual hands on experience with this kind of thing. Will mental ray or the maya software, ever support this type of texture file for rendering?
At the moment, every program other than autodesk suite (with the exception of mudbox) seems to be able to render these files, yet Maya's latest release only allows us to preview the textures in VP 2.0

After spending quite some time texturing a model over the summer in Mari, only to realize it cannot be rendered using the only ways I know how, is somewhat disheartening, as I don't want to have to learn yet another external program just to render something.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

  1. It probably will happen in later revisions; they've already got it working in VP2.0 as you said. I'm not sure on the technical side of it, so I dunno if it's viable with MR or what. It might be more of a real time thing? I'd just lay out UV's, and paint textures in 3D space with Mudbox or something, that way you can always render in Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will never be a substitute for uv mapping the proper way, but I just find it somewhat odd, that even lesser used packages such as cinema 4D, can render ptex. Yet Maya and mental ray still cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elliot

    Check out this plug-in. I haven't had chance to go over it but the app includes a shader for mental ray which supports ptex files.

    http://www.mankua.com/Stripes/Stripes.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, will give it a test run and let you know how I get on with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment