Skip to main content

Mac vs PC

Hi, my name is Anita and I'm a first year student just wanting opinions on whether I should invest in a Mac or PC for this course. I have an older Macbook and would love to stick with Mac (either upgrading to a Macbook pro or buying an iMac), but was wondering what you all thought was better to use on this course. Is it easier/cheaper to buy software for one or the other?

Comments

  1. Quite a few people on the course use Mac's without any troubles. As far as I know, Maya files are transferable between Mac and PC. Though someone may need to confirm this as true.

    The Escape Studios Educational suite works with Mac, for Maya and Mudbox at least.

    http://techstore.escapestudios.co.uk/shop/autodesk-educational-creative-suite-group-students.html

    Maya / Mudbox Mac & PC based. 3ds Max / Softimage & MotionBuilder PC based only.

    So yeah, I think most would recommend a Windows based PC (due to bias and familiarity more than anything) but everything should work ok, providing you can get a Mac version of the software.

    (And Macs are able to run Final Cut Pro. Much better software than Premier Pro!)

    But people who actually use Mac's will be better able to answer your question than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also depends on your budget, although Macs are concidered a better quality machine, the amount you will pay is so much more. With the same budget you can get a more powerful PC just because they are that much cheeper. Also you'll want to concider that you can't upgrade your Mac, but most PC's can be upgraded, but that also depends on how good you are with computers. Personally I use a PC because I can build my own for the fraction of the price of a mac and if I need to upgrade it I'll do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anita

    I have been using a mac on this course for almost 2 years now, and I have no trouble with software incompatibilities etc or communication between windows. (Even if it means downloading a few free tools.) All the main software you need, you can get for you mac.

    Basically, a bare minimum for this course is Maya, Photoshop, AfterEffects and a word processor. (doesn't have to be Microsoft word though. Open office is better and faster on mac) Then there is either a choice of Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro.

    Any other major software is really an optional extra. Your best bet is to Invest in the Autodesk suite from escape studios and the Adobe suite, directly from Adobe. (both with great student discounts - especially adobe, as it can be used for commercial work too)

    There is one other thing to consider though. If you are thinking of getting a new mac, they will come with osx Lion, which currently have a few issues with running Autodesk and adobe products. Installing Maya can be a pain with lion, and as far as I'm aware, Autodesk don't officially support lion yet. The most important of the adobe products do still work though. (might need to research this before buying a new mac)

    So if you do get a new mac, it would probably be better if you could install an older osx like leopard or snow leopard, to ensure the best compatibility.

    On the other hand, getting a new pc or laptop will no doubt be the cheaper option.
    (but I try to avoid using windows where possible!)
    If you are interested, you can actually install the mac operating system on a windows computer or laptop. Although it is not straight forward, but it would be the very cheapest option for a mac user!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita, I use a Mac which also has the Lion, I haven't had any problems so far with the programs we use on the course so I'd say go for it. But since having a mac I'm definitely anti pc so theres my response to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to stick with Mac as others have without any problems. Thanks for the links too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment