I'm not really convinced by this, but it really attracted my attention.
"Euclideon a Australian based technology company created a whole new way to create gaming graphics. <...> With Euclideons new system, it will not be square blocks, it will literally be atoms. The same building blocks that make us, will be used for a video game. To put this into perspective, on average you would see 10-25 poly's per square foot. This technology will bring the count to the hundreds within milometers. Each grain of sand will be existent like never before."
More info here

I heard of this too and find it too hard to believe, then I saw this on Minecraft's lead programmer's (Notch) blog:
ReplyDeletehttp://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam
Apparently it's good for detailed environments with many repeating details (grains of sand/dirt/leaves/trees etc) but not so good for animation. Still impressive eye candy though :)
Wow. 100,000 times improved ground, rocks and trees. That's so interesting.
ReplyDeleteThat was an overly sarcastic comment. I apologise! Though I think my argument still stands.
ReplyDeleteMy opinion of this is that Games/Technology developers need to concentrate on the things that can actually make a difference. Improved lighting, shaders, ambient occlusion and so. On top of all the stuff not related graphics technology such as AI and user control.
The idea of improving the realism of a stone wall, a rock or the ground just seems utterly banal to me.