Skip to main content

The Supplement: Jessica Joslin


If I didn't know otherwise, I'd think Jessica Joslin's dainty, decorative and bio-mechanical creatures had followed in Ivan's footsteps and escaped from Jolanta's mysterious workshop...

"I find things anywhere that I find myself…in obscure junk shops, flea markets, attics, taxidermy supply houses, specialty hardware distributors…or even just walking through the woods. Some of the materials used in my work are: antique ceremonial collar, antlers, bone, velvet, antique hardware, glass eyes, universal joints, springs, brass standoffs, casters, mink collars, saxophone keys, antique shoehorn, beads, lamp fittings, glove leather, music wire, cast pewter feet… The many components are assembled using as many techniques as there are parts. The fastenings for a crest of feathers are quite different than for a headpiece of brass on bone. In my work, I look back to a time when one’s craft was evolved over many years, honed through apprenticeships. The parts are integrated with the finely wrought craft of an artisan watchmaker. Miniature machine bolts, springs and couplings comprise anatomical structures. Many of the beasts have hidden movements: a spring loaded beak, snapping jaws, jointed legs and adjustable tails. Some creatures are free-standing but have mechanisms to allow for movement or multiple positions."

From jessicajoslin.com














Comments

  1. Adorable and creepy at the same time? I like it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two headed cat one is adorable. Other than that not much to say that wouldn't mirror Molly's reply :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment