Skip to main content

FAO CGAA Year 1: Unit 5 Animation: Yoni Goodman's Dailymations

From animator Yoni Goodman*

"I decided to do a daily rough exercise in traditional animation, just to loosen the hand a bit and study the weights and motion.

Most of my career as an animator revolved around fast, efficient animations, mainly Flash cutouts.

Some time ago I got sick of the technicality of cutouts & decided to return to the basics of frame by frame drawn animation. To get my hand back in shape I started doing Dailymations - short, sketchy, rough & FUN animations, more about mass and movement and less about fine, clean animation.

Each exercises is done in about one - to - two hours of work (more or less)."








Find more of Goodman's 'dailymations' on his blog.

* "I was born in 1976. Began my career as an illustrator and designer for Israeli newspapers. While studying in the department of Visual Communication at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, Jerusalem, I fell in love with animation and haven't stopped making it since. After graduation in 2002 I worked as a freelance animator and illustrator for numerous TV Shows and commercials. In 2004 started to work as director of animation for Ari Folman's documentary series, "The material that love is made of", creating 3 five minute animation shorts to be combined in the series. The successful connection with Ari led to our next collaboration with me as director of animation for the acclaimed award winning feature "Waltz with Bashir" which I also developed the Flash Cutout animation technique needed to create this feature. Since then I worked as a freelance animator, making several short films for human rights organizations. I am also about to begin work on Ari Folman's next feature "The Futurological Congress" where I will again act as director of animation."

Comments