Skip to main content

Visiting Lecturer 22nd March - Robin Konieczny (from Double Negative)

On Tuesday, March 22nd, Robin Konieczny is coming to talk to us about his role at Double Negative. In anticipation of his visit, I asked him for a few words of introduction:

"A brief history of where, what and possibly how.

Born the son of a Polish cobbler, I drew a lot - and went to the movies.

Went to Rochester College of Art (as it was once called) to study illustration. Studied Illustration. Became a freelance illustrator. Type in Robin Koni... and have a giggle. What can I say? I was young. Did I really paint that? Did they really give me money for that?

Went to the movies some more…

Bought a computer, Photoshop and a 3D package to help with illustration.

Liked 3D more than illustration. Learned in my spare time.

Went to the movies.

Sent a reel to Passion Pictures. Got hired by Passion Pictures as a freelancer. Made pop promos, ads, short films, Gorillaz stuff...

When Passion were quiet, I did many and various jobs for many and various people: Framestore, Nike, Jaguar, Channel 4, BBC, Discovery Channel, Air CGI, etc.

I then pootled off to The Senate to work on The Da Vinci Code and stayed there for three or four years. Rome mini-series, Hellboy 2, Narnia, Kick-Ass, Angels and Demons followed.

Got offered a place at DNEG. Worked on John Carter of Mars, then The Sorcerer’s Apprentice... and still on John Carter of Mars.

Yes, yes, yes! But what is it he does with those pixels (does he even use pixels?) I hear you cry!

The answer is a bit of this and a bit of that. To some, I am an animator, to some a compositor and texture artist, and to others a modeler - and some even think of me as a lighter

At DNEG, I am a Generalist TD in environments and currently a sequence Lead....

See you all on Tuesday 22nd Lecture Theatre 2 @ 2pm!

All the best, Robin"

Comments

Post a Comment