Skip to main content

The Supplement: Boris Vallejo


Ask anyone born in the 70's and they'll be familiar with the fantasy art of Boris Vallejo. He ranks alongside H.R. Giger as the artist 'most likely to annoy your a'level art teacher'. Aged fifteen or so, I had a whole book of his paintings... "It's art, mum, okay?" Vallejo's work is so deliriously pulpy and adolescent that, much like Laaksonen's erotica, it's possible to overlook his inarguable technical skill and sumptuous use of colour. Vallejo's aesthetic and thematic milieu recalls the super-saturated kitsch of Roger Vadim's Barbarella (1968) and Mike Hodge's over-sexed Flash Gordon (1980). It's Muscle Beach meets Penthouse meets Dungeons & Dragons. Vallejo's images are like cheap sweets - probably bad for you, but strangely addictive!

The images showcased here are just the tip of a very lurid iceberg - go here for more (much more!) but remember, "It's art, mum, okay?"





































Comments

  1. I've always admired Vallejo ever since I saw a couple of his books a few years back and every time I see his work a few years on I admire it for different reasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his work. I als love his fellow painter Jullie Bell's work to. I have an entire book of their art :)

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2juG42WVb_o/S_0TeLDmHkI/AAAAAAAAAFo/iFJ1T-4d3Ss/s320/Julie_Bell_Tentative_Links.jpg

    That's one of my favourite paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Characters look much like in Frank Frazetta's artorks. realy admirable works

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me alot of old megadrive game covers, Golden Axe in particular

    http://www.zonesega.com/file/covers/megadrive/Golden%20axe%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment