Skip to main content

Maya 2011 - Extruding and Smoothing Problems

I'm encountering a bit off a problem in Maya. From what I can understand, When I extrude an edge and then smooth or smooth preview, the newly extruded edges don't smooth.

2011:
Before smooth

After Smooth:

As you can see, its not smoothing over the new bit. I took the model into 2010 and got this...

2010:
Before Smooth:

After Smooth:

So 2010 is smoothing it fine, although it is a few steps behind the 2011 model. So how do I sort out the 2011 problem? I've had this problem before but I was able to workaround it.

Any Ideas?

Comments

  1. Oh no worries, I fixed it :) I had some vertexs that were not connected after the extrude for some reason. I merged them together and hey Presto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like when you extruded you had unchecked 'keep faces together' in maya 2011. Thats probably why all the faces separated when you extruded in 2011 and not in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, thanks for the advce. I'll make sure it's checked the next time I extrude

    ReplyDelete
  4. It shouldn't really matter too much for this project anyway, as there is no smoothing parse.

    Although as Ethan said, the reason would usually be because of the 'keep faces together' option being unchecked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it didn't really matter for the head, but I didn't want it happening later for Transcription.

    Thanks again Guys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what this is, yeah it's annoying. The new extruded faces have hard edges. To fix this you have to select the edges, go to the "normals" tab and click "soften edge"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment