Skip to main content

My Summer Project Experience

After Phil announced the winners of the second year summer project he asked us to upload some of the work that came out of it. My project was an exploration into atmosphere and mood, I wanted to capture a certain aspect of city life with the use of the upbeat music I was given, whilst at the same displaying images of a dark and disturbing nature. The idea for the animation was to follow a cockroach as it wondered the streets of New York, moving it's way into an abandoned nightclub and revealing a murder scene. Unfortunately, I didn't complete the animation but a lot came out of the experience. I was determined to improve areas of weakness rather than attempt to rush out a final piece and so a lot of my effort was put into the concept art process. Here are the final pieces of concept art I produced from the project.


These were, in my opinion, a huge improvement on previous pieces of concept art. I was finally feeling happy with my digital painting skills and so moved on to some cg modelling. At this point, I had little time left but wanted to have some cg output in the end, so I decided the key area to improve was my modelling. From this I produced a couple of stills that you can see below.


I really wanted to texture the scenes but I was out of time and so instead I felt I could add to the scene with some good lighting. The lighting was really what provided so much atmosphere initially and so it worked rather well for just a few simple light placements. Below was a quick render to the scene with a single lambert and a few lights.


It was an fun project and I'm very interested in possibly continuing it to something a bit more pleasing for the up coming transcription project but that is yet to be decided. If you would like to see more from my process please check out my blog at...

Comments

  1. Looks great on here, Jordan - I'll prompt Leo and JJ to follow suit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil, I was a bit dissapointted with the book. The colours were really lost which is a shame but I learnt a lot during the process and that's always the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see this again :) very moody work :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment