Skip to main content

How to make Water...

Hello CG world.
I'm looking for a helping hand from someone really. For the current Group project, I trying to create a flowing river. I've tried a few things, such as RealFlow, Ocean/Pond Plane and the Ocean shader to create a realistic river with varied results.

I'm sure some of you third years have tackled water at some point, so does anyone (from any year :) ) have any tips or a link to a tutorial I could follow. This way I don't have to constantly go through trial and error to find a working water look.

Comments

  1. Hey, I've attempted this before. You have a few options. Keep scale and level of realism in mind. Things like realflow aren't made for large scale rivers, they're made for water splashes where you can see the water close up. If it's more of a river, few meters away thing then:

    The easiest way is to make a river mesh with a texture applied. You animate the translation of the placement node. If you use a layered shader or apply a second texture to your shader in some way you can have them translating at different speeds to make the movement more interesting.

    Another way is to make an animated texture that consists of a range of images. This is a bit harder to do because you need good footage of flowing water. I saw this in a game called Vietcong a long time ago, still looks quite cool in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyFIImVdXs (there's a few shots about 40 seconds in)

    The last option is particles but that's more for waterfalls and stuff. I did one in the third year but it may not be what you're looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq8NSW1xuVg You could always use particles in certain areas to enhance another technique.

    I also tried animating the ocean shader to behave like a river/stream once but it didn't work, can't exactly remember why.

    I'd go for animating the texture placement node.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment