Well here I am back in old sunny California for another round trip to the conventions and Gnomon. As you can tell from my opening line this is a trip I've been lucky enough to do many times (10 years or so now). Its something that I really enjoy - Meeting up with old friends, seeing whats new, and dipping myself into the 'unreality' of Hollywood for a week or two.
After a long flight (15 hours) my first challenge (believe it or not) is 'Hertz Rental'. Sounds strange right? Well, heres the thing - With a little experience you can make your trip that little bit more luxurious, ie a better car. Here's the trick:
1) Book a flight which lands late in the evening. This means that most of the standard cars will already rented when you arrive.
2) Book and pay for a standard car before leaving the UK.
3) Turn up looking like you've had the worst flight in the world. Then be as charming (but exhausted) as possible.
4) Because Hertz has to honour their contract and don't have the right car they have to upgrade you for free. Hey Presto - A Ford Focus becomes a Ford Mustang Convertable.
Here's the result:



This year I've made sure to photograph the car so that the second years can model it too.
Once on the road its off to my friends house in a town called Vista. Its a small place just north of San Diego (Where I landed) and close to a town called Oceanside (for those of you who are fans of the Xgames which is often held there). Kindly, my good friend Dianna Gregg (formerly Lawrence) lets me use her house when I need to. Obviously having a place to return too if need be is a great bonus when travelling. My connection to Dianna traces back to my student days. We are both graduates of UCA (or KIAD as it was). Dianna the Jewellery course and myself Modellmaking.
The view from her house:

Ok, I'm going to pause here as my next stop will be the craziness that is Comic-Con 2010...More photos to come :)
After a long flight (15 hours) my first challenge (believe it or not) is 'Hertz Rental'. Sounds strange right? Well, heres the thing - With a little experience you can make your trip that little bit more luxurious, ie a better car. Here's the trick:
1) Book a flight which lands late in the evening. This means that most of the standard cars will already rented when you arrive.
2) Book and pay for a standard car before leaving the UK.
3) Turn up looking like you've had the worst flight in the world. Then be as charming (but exhausted) as possible.
4) Because Hertz has to honour their contract and don't have the right car they have to upgrade you for free. Hey Presto - A Ford Focus becomes a Ford Mustang Convertable.
Here's the result:



This year I've made sure to photograph the car so that the second years can model it too.
Once on the road its off to my friends house in a town called Vista. Its a small place just north of San Diego (Where I landed) and close to a town called Oceanside (for those of you who are fans of the Xgames which is often held there). Kindly, my good friend Dianna Gregg (formerly Lawrence) lets me use her house when I need to. Obviously having a place to return too if need be is a great bonus when travelling. My connection to Dianna traces back to my student days. We are both graduates of UCA (or KIAD as it was). Dianna the Jewellery course and myself Modellmaking.
The view from her house:
Ok, I'm going to pause here as my next stop will be the craziness that is Comic-Con 2010...More photos to come :)
Oh I love mustangs and that's a great way to upgrade from a focus. I can't wait to see the comic-con pics. Those are the most fanatical fans in the world. And the big companies know how to treat them well.
ReplyDeleteHahah. Alan the hustler. Does that work every year? I wonder if they have a wall in their office with your photo on there, and when they see you coming they just sigh.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely car though. Hope you've been having fun.
wow nice trick haha, have fun!! lookin forward to the pics.
ReplyDeleteWow thats a lovly view :)
ReplyDeleteI will have to remember that trick or future reference... :P
ReplyDelete