Skip to main content

Bradley 'Class of 2009' Sturch Speaks!

Firstly, I'm thrilled CGAA won first prize at ND and makes me altogether even prouder that I was part of it last year. Here's a little something about Animate & Create and me for the CGAA blog:
Walking out of university and straight into a recession I am not alone in saying postgrad life has been filled with challenges. The year following my graduation was quieter than I'd expected. There wasn't a red carpet laid out for me with a job at the end!

During Easter 2010, I gathered a list of addresses of animation and game companies based in London, printed out CV's, ordered more business cards and plenty of print outs of my work and relentlessly went door to door. Success was pretty limited but I would still recommend doing it as the companies that gave me the time of day were surprised someone had gone a step further than email or phone.
I was simply in the right place at the right time when the Future Jobs Fund (part of JobCentre) phoned me about the Animate & Create position. I immediately got in contact with Animate & Create and was granted an interview the next day. Any plans I had immediately went out the window and I made public my big news on Facebook. This set a ball rolling because an old tutor of mine recognised who my interview was with and put a good word in, and then the founder of Animate & Create happened to know Phil Gomm too. It all fell into place and I got the job.
I am their latest Animation Assistant and am responsible for a number of jobs around the studio from working with young people in workshops, aiding senior members of staff in any way possible, video editing, looking for sound effects, graphic design, working on the quarterly newsletter - down to the odd jobs like painting walls and making the tea. I've been there for a month and a week at the time of writing this and my contract runs until mid December. I;m thoroughly enjoying the job and believe it is THE best company to work for, and THE best company for animation workshops in the country!
I would also like to say, if you haven't heard from Phil yet, please check out canterburyanifest.com!
My advice for the students? Your job won't be waiting for you as soon as you get out, but if you stay committed, keep talking to your contacts and keep creatively active, you WILL get a creative job at some point. Probably the most important factor is your contacts so keep in contact with your class mates and your tutors because one day it will get you a job.
Bradley Sturch

Comments