Skip to main content

An Interview With Creature Designer, Jerad S. Marantz - Part One




"When I first started seriously studying art, I went straight into figure drawing. I’ve been figure drawing for years. It was something that I knew I should be disciplined in, but I would never refer to myself as an accomplished figure drawer. For some reason I don’t have the patience to draw things directly in front of me, so I’ve never drawn at a zoo. I tend to be more efficient at drawing directly out of my head, but without studying, without years of observation, drawing out of one’s head would be completely pointless. Everything I do is grounded. When I start an assignment, I’ll actually create collages of reference so that I know I’m pulling from reality. I actually assign the reference collages in my creature design classes. Reference is essential in creating convincing creatures..."

Jerad S. Marantz is the creature designer for Louis Leterrier's Clash of the Titans remake and Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch. Read part one of his interview on the Academy of Art Character & Creature Design blog here. Part two coming up soon.



Comments

  1. ooooh! Is it me or do we even have a DVD on character design from him in the library? Not sure if it was the character design one or the visual story telling one though.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment